The Mobile Symphony Orchestra enhances lives by achieving the highest standards in live symphonic music and music education.
As a cultural leader on the Gulf Coast, the Mobile Symphony Orchestra contributes significantly to the quality of life in the Mobile Bay community. By providing outstanding symphonic music and award-winning music education programs, MSO assists the region in attracting international companies and creative workers to the area. In just two decades, MSO has become Mobile’s flagship arts organization.
We are currently searching for an experienced Full Charge Bookkeeper.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience in finance, payroll, and human resources within a nonprofit organization. This position reports to the CEO and works closely with the CEO and Directors to prepare operating budget, financial statements; account reconciliation: as well as review and process Account Payable/Receivable transactions. You will manage and process payroll, be the main point of contact for human resources and provide support to all departments.
If you have a “go-getter” attitude to roll up your sleeves and be the one stop shop for accounting, payroll, human resources and office management, then don’t let this opportunity pass you by!
- Manage general ledger accounting systems
- Creating new accounts as instructed by CEO.
- Review the general trial balance activity and prepare journal entries as needed
- Oversee and complete monthly and annual closing process
- Maintain supporting documentation and secure files
- Work with Mobile Opera to ensure fairness and proper accounting of building expenses
- Budget Controls
- Monitor and review expenses in comparison to approved budget and grant requirements.
- Recommend and monetary expense control initiatives.
- Distribute monthly financial reports to CEO
- Governmental and non-governmental grant reporting
- Monitor disbursements in accordance with budget and grant requirements.
- Work closely with staff in preparing grant proposals and required fiscal reporting
- Review Accounts Payable transactions to ensure correct entry in the accounting system.
- Maintain vendor accounts, ensure proper account coding.
- Update and communicate chart of account changes, improper coding and budget requirements
- Accounts Receivable
- Maintain customer accounts
- Work closely with Directors/Managers of cash received, returned payments, improper billing, and outstanding accounts.
- Ensure timely invoicing of education tuition, program ads, pledges and contractual service income
- Work closely with Patron Manager to reconcile daily receipts.
- Enter all G/L entry from Theater Manager end of day reports
- Prepare monthly A/R statements for outstanding accounts
- Perform verbal and written collection procedures
- Reconcile all bank accounts, review investments, monitors cash flow, budgets, and projections
- Advises CEO of organization’s financial position
- Reconcile organization’s accounting balance in Sage to Theater Manger account balances
- Review end of year reports in Theater Manager to ensure fiscal balance with Sage Accounting System.
- Payroll Management
- Collects timesheets, prepares payroll, processes direct deposits and tax payments; federal, state and SUI
- Respond to employees’ questions regarding payroll and benefits
- Maintains personnel files and all employee data changes
- (May include name change, hours worked, salary changes, benefit changes, etc.)
- Works with Personnel Manager to ensure proper documentation of musicians
I-9’s and performance contracts.
- Benefits Administration
- Administers and record retention of employee benefits such as health insurance, retirement investments and other payroll deductions.
- Calculates and directs the payment of state, federal, FICA, Medicare and payroll withholding
- Preparation of withholding tax returns, annual W-2’s and 1099 statements
- File Maintenance
- Maintain payroll files, ticketing/contribution end of day files, and Accounts Payable files.
- Update annually the computer systems modules
- Secure on-hand cash in safe and process daily deposit of cash receipts
- Work with Auditor during fiscal year-end audit process
- Membership in the League of Orchestra, BMI and ASCAP require annual reporting and timely payment of dues
- Oversee building and equipment maintenance
- Interact with Board and committee members, grant providers, vendors, patrons and donors. Reporting to CEO.
- Work with IT Support to ensure correct transaction in Theater Manager system
- Office Management by overseeing building maintenance and office equipment also responsible for office supply and inventory
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Associate’s degree in accounting in Business Administration preferred
- A minimum of five (5) years of Non-profit accounting experience preferred
- A minimum of five (5) years of payroll processing with working knowledge of payroll procedures as it relates to employment taxes
- Previous experience of Sage/Peachtree accounting software is preferred, but not required
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Software
Hours and Benefits:
- Full time Salaried
- 40 hours per week with comp time earned for off-hours events
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage; 75% paid by employer for employee only
- Retirement plan Simple IRA with 3% employer match
- Paid vacation, sick and personal leave
Our passion and vision:
- We create an environment that allows for the presentation of the finest quality music
- We attract and hire exemplary musicians and high-quality teachers.
- We develop and maintain a staff and board who are competent and passionate about the Mobile Symphony Orchestra.
- We expand music education and performance opportunities for all students.
- We are an indispensable resource to the entire community.
- We achieve and maintain a firm financial base.
If you share our passion, we invite you to apply!