Mobile Symphony Youth Orchestra (“MSYO”) Music Director and Conductor
Start date – May or June 2018
Type of Position
The MSYO Music Director is responsible for the artistic operation and development of the ensemble as part of the education programs of the Mobile Symphony Orchestra (“MSO”).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music or Music Education
- Experience conducting and programming for high school, collegiate, or youth orchestras
Additional, Desired Qualifications
- M., D.M.A., or Ph.D. in Orchestral Conducting, Music Education, or other music field
- Experience presenting lectures and pre-concert talks within a professional orchestra
- Knowledge of and ability to contribute to the production of professional symphony orchestra concerts
The ideal candidate will possess a passion for developing young people as individuals and musicians. The MSYO Music Director must be approachable, engaging, collaborative, and attentive to the needs of students and colleagues. The ability to manage day-to-day demands and meet deadlines in an organized and efficient manner is required. This position requires residence in Mobile, Alabama.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Conduct and schedule all rehearsals, concerts, auditions, and other functions of the Mobile Symphony Youth Orchestra
- Program repertoire that is appropriate for an advanced, high school aged, full symphony orchestra
- Serve as primary contact and ambassador of the MSYO as well as a community liaison for the MSO organization and all of its artistic and educational activities.
- Work closely with the MSO leadership and staff to ensure that the MSYO functions efficiently within the confines of the MSO season schedule and fulfills the educational mission of the organization
- Provide support and data management related to development activities as needed
- Work with MSO leadership, plan budget, submit and track expenses
- Serve as a mentor and advisor for students preparing for college
- Collaborate with sectional coaches and assistant conductors as needed
- Establish and maintain active and constructive relationships with Mobile Bay area band, choir, orchestra, and instrumental teachers
- Actively scout and recruit new musicians for MSYO
- Maintain yearly statistics and provide reports to MSO leadership about MSYO musicians
- Develop rapport and actively engage parents and guardians in the music education process
- Additional duties as assigned
Additional Administrative Duties
Depending on the applicant’s experience and expertise, additional duties related to the MSO education programs may be offered.
Please submit the following, via email, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement about applicant’s philosophy of music education
- List of at least 4 professional references (with correct e-mail and telephone contact information)
- Links to video(s) of recent conducting (posted on/at YouTube or Drop Box – include both rehearsal and performance)
Deadline for Materials
- All materials must be received by November 15, 2017
- November 15, 2017 – Application deadline
- Late November/early December 2017 – phone interviews
- February 24 and 25, 2018 – finalist auditions and interviews in Mobile, Alabama
Commensurate with experience – The Mobile Symphony offers a competitive benefits package including health and dental insurance and 401K matching contributions.
The Mobile Symphony Youth Orchestra was founded in 1953 and has continued its mission of providing young instrumental musicians along the Gulf Coast of Alabama, Florida, and Mississippi with an opportunity to learn orchestral repertoire and work with other young artists. The ensemble regularly features world-renowned soloists, typically on the season finale concert. The MSYO is the flagship ensemble of the Mobile Symphony Orchestra’s extensive, award winning education programs. The MSYO performs up to six concerts each season in the historic Saenger Theatre in downtown Mobile, as well as other venues in the region.
For a printable PDF of the listing, click HERE